01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

What do the 'Events' options mean and which to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepskydiver

Hi,

I have the opportunity to modify the setup of my NVR. It's a DS7608-NXI-I2/8P/4S.
I found that pretty much every box was ticked for Events: motion, region, line crossing etc. But I'm presuming that's largely redundant and it certainly triggers a lot of false events. Is there a reference that explains these options and which ones I should use in preference to others?

Basic Events
  • motion detection - and what does Dynamic Analysis add compared to smart events?
Smart Events
  • Enable Local Analysis - which allows one zone and one line crossing only, or
  • Scene Change/Intrusion/Line Crossing/Region Entrance/Region Exiting - how is intrusion better or different to line crossing for example?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @deepskydiver

Enabling dynamic analysis for motion means that green squares will be overlayed on the video feed to show any motion that is detected, the idea being that it allows you to quickly identify what is triggering motion detection, which can help when you're applying it to a large area in the scene.

‘Enable Local Smart Analysis' refers to enabling the AcuSense person / vehicle classification on the NVR, for reducing false-positive alerts - you can also specify whether the NVR detects only a person or vehicle, or both - this uses a lot of the NVR's processing power, which is why you are limited to fewer events.

Intrusion Detection and Line Crossing are probably the most popular smart events - it's more a case of using the option best suited to the area that you want to detect a moving object rather than one being better than the other.

I.e., Residentially, Intrusion is often used on driveways, paths, and gardens as it allows you to specify an area and alerts you of an object entering that area from any direction. Line crossing can be particularly for entrances and exits, as you can define a line and the direction from which something must cross it to alert you.

Intrusion and Motion Detection are similar in that you can specify an area on both. However, you can set a 'threshold' and specify how long an object should be in the zone before an alert is generated.

We recommend starting with just one or two events and assessing how effective this is for you - trial and error is really the best method for working out which VCA setup is best for each camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks @Kyle.

I've tried various things over the last few months and thought I'd list them for other people's benefit:
  • Scene Change, Region Entrance, Region Exiting are completely ineffective for me.
  • "Local Smart Analysis" give too many false positives and misses real events (people), particularly at night. It was the most disappointing.
  • Motion Detection is good but with small animals and insects gives a lot of false positives
  • Line Crossing seems inconsistent. I've seen events with nothing visible and walked past and not triggered it
  • Intrusion Detection seems the best, but it can't filter out small animals because it doesn't discriminate for size. A hare or a bird will trigger it.
Insects are the major cause of false positives. I can't use my system expecting to be notified on real events, it's more to keep a record in case something does happen

Upvote 0
@Kyle sorry for replying to such a old post. You have answered the foremost questions very well. But did not answer "Entrance/Region Exiting - "

I bring this up because I am currently using this as a PTZ Linkage and it works. Where the line crossing does not work and I already have a task for the intrution detection.

Entrance/Region Exiting - each has its own tab so surely they must have the own unique fundamental ruling which can't be modified.

Unless you it's up to the user to decide where to place these detection areas but what happens if in only want to track a Region traveling in a specific direction? (Like A>B or B<A....

Upvote 0
Unless you it's up to the user to decide where to place these detection areas but what happens if in only want to track a Region traveling in a specific direction? (Like A>B or B<A....
There is no direction. Region entrance - will be triggered when a target moves into the defined area (Region Entrance is exactly the same as Intrusion Detection with a dwell time of 0) Region exit - will be triggered when a target leaves the defined area.

I'm not sure whether it's changed but there was an issue of Region Entrance or Exit not resulting in a Hik-Connect push notification, even when the 'Notify Surveillance Center' option was correctly selected in the Linkage Actions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back