01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

FAQ Why does my Gmail email address no longer work for receiving email notifications from my CCTV equipment?

As of the 30th May 2022, Google has removed the support for use of third-party apps or devices which can use your Gmail address using only your normal username and password.

Google's statement about it is here:

1654871563903.png

As CCTV equipment is a third-party device, you will have probably found that email notifications are no longer being sent from your Gmail account because of this.

If you were previously using a Gmail account for your email notifications, then there are a couple of options to get your notifications working again.

Option 1:​

Set up an "app password" in your Google account for your device, which will be different to your normal password.​
This guide explains how to do this:​

Option 2:​

A quick (and perhaps obvious) fix is just to use another email account from a different provider for sending your notifications instead - Outlook accounts seem to work well for this.​
NB - If you are using a Hikvision camera or recorder to send your email notifications, then make sure that the total length of your Outlook email address does not exceed 31 characters, as the notifications will not work properly otherwise.
Here are the SMTP settings you need when setting up email notifications with an Outlook account:​
SMTP server name: smtp.office365.com​
SMTP port number: 587​
Encryption: TLS​
STARTTLS: Enable​

Last edited:
Hello,

Do you have any alternative to any of the methods for sending notifications? I have tried gmail and yahoo and still get the testing failed. I have set up app password and still fail. I have verified email works for sending and receiving emails from browser. I believe NVR is correctly connected to network as I can access cameras through browser and Hik-Connect. I have tried all three port settings. I set up the 2-step verification in gmail, still no success. I recently purchased this NVR which is model number DS-7616NI-I2/16P. The firmware version is V4.60.005 build 220108.

Hikvision.png

I was able to get this to work using a free outlook email account. I did not know outlook offered free email.

Hello,

Do you have any alternative to any of the methods for sending notifications? I have tried gmail and yahoo and still get the testing failed. I have set up app password and still fail. I have verified email works for sending and receiving emails from browser. I believe NVR is correctly connected to network as I can access cameras through browser and Hik-Connect. I have tried all three port settings. I set up the 2-step verification in gmail, still no success. I recently purchased this NVR which is model number DS-7616NI-I2/16P. The firmware version is V4.60.005 build 220108.

View attachment 7958

Hi

Change SMTP port to 465 and then you should find it works.

Martin

Thanks for the response. I tried changing the port and nothing worked. I just signed up for the free Outlook email and it worked. Outlook is a much better email than Gmail IMO.

Sender: Hikvision
Senders Address : valami@gmail.com
SMTP szerver: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP-port : 465
Enable : SSL/TLS
Authentication: Enable
Felhasználónév : valami@gmail.com
Password: You will be shown the unique 16-letter password that Google has created for your device.
Password Confirm: 16-letter password

The e-mail notification works with this setting.

Given the nature of your attempts and the specificity of the issue, reaching out to Hikvision support might be your best bet. They can provide tailored assistance or potentially identify any known issues or workarounds related to your NVR model and firmware version.

Back