01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Hikvision NVR Firmware upgrade help?

stewart

Hi can anybody help. I am new to all of this so please bear with me. I have a Hikvision NVR with the original Firmware installed, I wish to upgrade the Firmware. Having looked at the Hikvision Download Portal UK I got confused on what firmware is needed for my particular machine.
I got as far as Home » portal » Product Firmware » Hikvision » 04 Back Ends » NVR » 02 K Series [76 77 86 NI-K] » [76 77 86 NI-K] but then not sure to which folder to choose.

Out of interest if I was to upgrade with the wrong Hikvision firmware what would happen, would the NVR refuses to install it, or could it brick the NVR?

Model
DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B)

Current Firmware Version
V3.4.100 build 180310

Many Thanks

Stewart

Hi @stewart

The Hikvision Download Portal can be quite confusing especially when there a different versions/generations of some models which use different firmware.

In your case, the correct folder would be [76NI-K1(B)] and as you will see your current version is quite old and actually pre-dates the earliest version in that folder (v3.4.112), as you are quite far behind on firmware we would recommend upgrading the firmware in steps. Below are the versions we would recommend updating to one at a time:

V4.30.000_build200508
V4.30.060 build201228
V4.30.085 build210409
V4.30.096_build221220

If you update through these versions one at a time you shouldn't run into any problems/glitches with the NVR.

(FYI - if you did try to install the wrong firmware the update would just fail and it wouldn't cause any problem for the NVR)

I'd probably do that update a little different. Allegedly it's only when there's an update of the middle part of the firmware version that you shouldn't skip it, so I'd avoid updating through all of the point releases. There are older versions back to 3.4.100 in the EU portal, however 3.4.112 is the last update before jumping to the version 4 firmware and the the earliest version 4 is 4.30.000, so both of those should be loaded. I'd do it in the following order:

1. 3.4.112 (as its the last V3)
  2. 4.30.000 (as it's the first V4 version)
  3. CRITICAL. After reboot, the login page may fail to display. Regardless, close the browser, re open and clear temporary internet files/browser history before navigating back to the IP address of the NVR
  4. 4.30.096 (as it's still a 4.30.x version there should be no need to go through the interim point releases .030 and .085)
Step 3 is vital. The directories etc in the V4 version will be different to those in V3. Sometimes it just affects the display of fonts but often you won't even get the login page to appear until the browser history has been cleared.

Reactions: Dan
Hi Dan

Thank you for the information you supplied. All upgrades installed without any real problems.

For you information Firmware Versions V4.30.000_build200508 and V4.30.060 build201228 were installed via USB this is because the Upgrade Browse button did not work. I tried Disabling the VPN – Antivirus – Firewall – Firefox and MS Edge both the same.
Once version V4.30.060 build201228 was up and running the Browse button worked and installation of the remaining two Firmware files installed.

Out of interest is it possible to install old versions of NVR Firmware. Also now I have upgraded the NVR do I need to upgrade the cameras?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Stewart

Hi @stewart

Yes, I forgot to mention that as your model was running old firmware that required the old browser plug-in it would not be possible to update in the browser, but as you have updated through the different versions you have reached the firmware that supports the plug-in free solution which then allowed you access the NVR and update via a browser.

It might be possible to downgrade between subversion (e.g. from v4.30.096 to v4.30.060) but you probably won't be able to go down full versions (e.g. from v4.30.xxx to v3.4.xxx).

Apologies @stewart I missed your camera question.

Yes, we would recommend checking the camera firmware, if all the cameras are plugged into the PoE ports on the NVR you can enable a feature called Virtual Host which will allow you login to each camera directly. You should then be able to see the current firmware and update the firmware in the maintenance menu (the same way as you did for the NVR firmware).

If you need help identifying the latest firmware, just post a list of the camera models you have and the current firmware versions each is running and we will link you to the correct latest firmware.

Hi Dan
I have two cameras both the same, model DS-2CD2335FWD-12.8mm
How do I get to see what current firmware is running?

Thanks

Stewart

Attachments

• PoE Channel.png
    PoE Channel.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IP Camera.png
    IP Camera.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 95
Hi Dan
I have two cameras both the same, model DS-2CD2335FWD-2.8mm
How do I get to see what current firmware is running?
Thanks
Stewart

Apologies @stewart

I mentioned Virtual Host in the above comment but didn't link you to the instructions on how to set it up, see below:
Virtual Host creates a link that allows you to log in to each directly connected camera, you will need a camera password to login to each camera and if the cameras were activated via Plug & Play when you first connected them to the NVR they should be using the same password as the NVR.

Hi Dan, following your instruction I can now see the camera IP addresses but cannot get by the Camera login. I have tried the NVR User and password and Hikvision default password “admin” “12345”. But still cannot login to the cameras. I am not sure if the CCTV installation guy set a password to the cameras or not.

The NVR IP is 192.168.1.64
Camera 1 IP is 192.168.1.64:65001
Camera 2 IP is 192.168.1.64:65002

The only thing I noticed when I ticked Enable Virtual Host the NVR did not reboot. So I rebooted at the NVR.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Stewart

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.png
    2.png
    28 KB · Views: 106
okay,

It sounds like your installer set a different camera activation password when they set up your NVR.

Are you able to access the NVR with a direct VGA/HDMI monitor?

This would be the easiest way to find out the password(s) of the directly connected cameras because you can go to the Camera menu, Click "Show Passwords", enter the NVR admin password, and the camera passwords should be displayed.

Hello Dan. Yes you are correct, the installer did set the cameras with a different password.
Both cameras are DS-2CD2335FWD-I
Firmware = V5.5.51 build 180314
I had a look on the Hikvision UK portal for Firmware updates but did not find my model camera on there site, could you point me in the right direction please.

Thank you

Stewart

Hi Dan

For some reason I am finding the Camera Bower button is not working. Could it be the Firmware upgrade has to be done on the NVR via USB due to old firmware present in the cameras.

It looks similar to when I upgraded the NVR Firmware. It was not until I installed the first two Firmware upgrades using a USB, I could install the remaining Firmware upgrades via logging on to the NVR. Any help in this final stage would be welcome.

Thank you

Stewart

Apologies @stewart

Yes, it will be the same issue as the NVR. Your cameras are running such old firmware that they require the browser plug-in which is no longer supported by modern browsers, you will need to do the first few updates via USB but once you are updated to the first v5.6.xxx firmware you should be able to use the browser again.

All cameras updated without problem, went like a dream. Thank you for your help mutch appreciated.

Regards

Stewart

Reactions: Dan
Back