01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How many users can connect at once to an NVR?

cymruchris

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I was having some thoughts recently around whether the following might work.

I have some community cameras watching owls, currently connected via a POE switch to an NVR - the NVR also has additional security cameras serving other purposes. The cameras watching owls are streamed via their RTSP feed via RTSP.me.

The streaming service over RTSP has begun charging a monthly fee - and with three cameras streaming, and the desire to add another one or two means I'm thinking of alternatives. I recently found out that you can add an IP camera to more than one NVR (I'm still learning!).

If I connected another NVR to the network (likely a Hikvision 8 channel) - has anyone tested how many people can be logged on at any time to view camera streams live?

Looking at the livestreams we use now - the peak tended to be about 15 people at any one time, so we're not talking 1000's.

If I set up a primary account and then 'shared it' with anyone that wanted it/downloaded the hikvision app - is there a limit as to how many people can join at the same time to review feeds?

What usually happens if more than one person tries to operate a PTZ? How does the NVR prioritise?

And if more than one person tried to review recorded footage would the NVR fall over or just restrict access?

There are no security implications, in that there's nothing to hide, nothing sensitive on the cameras, so having either one account shared with many other accounts, or even one account where the login details were commonly known as anyone and everyone would be permitted access, are there any steps I'd need to consider?

I did look at setting up 'users' or 'operators' - but it didn't seem to allow me to 'stop' people looking at historical footage. (each time I unticked the box it re-ticked it when it saved)

I don't really want to go down the browser route as it feels too unreliable that if people have a mac, or a particular browser it's a faff to get working for the technologically impaired. I think it would be easier to say 'download this - register an account - I'll share the NVR with you' or 'download this - enter this account detail - and off you go'.

Would welcome anyone's comments that has real-world feedback of multiple users accessing one NVR. Is there a limit to numbers that can connect using one account before the NVR says 'that's enough connections'?

I've setup NVR user accounts (not admin) and used those to stream to streaming services, have you considered YouTube?

What bandwidth do you have available on your internet uplink (router WAN to ISP)? Depending on the video resolution you use, 15 users could easily consume that bandwidth.

There are a couple of things in the specification of the NVR that will impact what you're trying to do.

Outgoing Bandwidth - We always go on about the incoming bandwidth being a limitation for the type and number of cameras that can be connected to an NVR. In this case you need to check what the maximum outgoing bandwidth is. The sum of all clients connected to the NVR can't exceed that. That maximum will be detailed on the data sheet (for my M series it's 256 Mbps and I've a feeling it's usually 128 Mbps for other models). To get an idea of what is being used, you can go into the maintenance screen on the NVR local menu - Maintenance > Network > Network Stat. The 'Remote Live View' and 'Remote Playback' added together would give you the current Outgoing Bandwidth.

Remote Connection - Also on the data sheet it'll tell you the maximum number of Remote Connections that can be handled simultaneously (128 for the M series)

The camera itself has a maximum number for simultaneous live view. As an example it's 6 on the new ColorVu Hybrid Light cameras. I'd assume (but haven't checked) if you're connecting to the cameras stream via the NVR (as opposed to directly to the camera IP) that the maximum number specified is not relevant as the NVR is handling it.

As @David has mentioned the upload speed of your WAN connection may also be a limiting factor.

I've setup NVR user accounts (not admin) and used those to stream to streaming services, have you considered YouTube?

What bandwidth do you have available on your internet uplink (router WAN to ISP)? Depending on the video resolution you use, 15 users could easily consume that bandwidth.
Thanks both for your replies. I've been taking some time to consider options - and I think I might work towards a different solution. I did try streaming last year via a PC/OBS (the free streaming software) onto youtube - where I put the four RTSP camera feeds into OBS as a quad screen layout - but found that the camera feeds would freeze randomly after a period of time, so gave up on it. I've since found there's a device (that I've now bought) that takes whatever is on a HDMI output, and streams it directly to youtube without the need for a PC. So if I set the NVR on quadscreen mode, ensuring each feed is main not sub - it gives a decent stream quality. I've tested it using my home NVR, and it's great - let the stream run for over 24 hours, not a glitch (1080p). I'm steering away from letting lots of people in to control the PTZ - and maybe keeping it to 2-3 people. I'm going to post a separate question in relation to the I series NVR's - as I think they have a feature allowing me remote access to change what's on the NVR monitor from afar.

Back