01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Missing event email images on M-series v4.63.000 firmware?

TheStork

I upgraded my M-series NVR (DS-7716NI-M4 / 16P) firmware from v4.61.420 to v4.63.000, and since then my motion detection email alerts no longer have images in them, despite the settings for them remaining in place (and worked fine in previous firmware versions). The motion detection emails now include one jpg attachment (instead of previous three), but it seems to be in some corrupt format that cannot be opened.

Furthermore, when I try to roll back and reinstall the v4.61.420 firmware, I get an error saying that the NVR is out of flash memory and I should reboot and retry; but a reboot does not address this issue, and therefore I seem unable to downgrade back to v4.61.420.

Are these known bugs already, or new ones that Hikvision should be made aware of?

I upgraded my M-series NVR (DS-7716NI-M4 / 16P) firmware from v4.61.420 to v4.63.000, and since then my motion detection email alerts no longer have images in them, despite the settings for them remaining in place (and worked fine in previous firmware versions). The motion detection emails now include one jpg attachment (instead of previous three), but it seems to be in some corrupt format that cannot be opened.

Furthermore, when I try to roll back and reinstall the v4.61.420 firmware, I get an error saying that the NVR is out of flash memory and I should reboot and retry; but a reboot does not address this issue, and therefore I seem unable to downgrade back to v4.61.420.

Are these known bugs already, or new ones that Hikvision should be made aware of?
A few things I've noticed. The first is that alarms could not be silenced/unsilenced on 4.63.000 and that's been discussed elsewhere, reported and apparently a fix is in the next version.

I don't use the e mail alerts, just Hik-Connect and I had issues this morning (since updating Hik-Connect app to 5.2.1 yesterday) whereby the image thumbnails were missing in the app along with the live view and playback links. I've messed around with the new 'areas' feature in the Hik-Connect app and once I've added all cameras to an area and armed it, it's working again.

However the e mail linkage works outside of the Hik-Connect service and app so you may have found something different that's amiss. As a start I'd try toggling the settings that send the image IE disable, save, enable, save again. It may be just some quirk.

What cameras are you using that have this issue and what firmware are they on? I know the change in behaviour has appeared after the NVR update but it could still be the camera.

Edit: I've just noticed there's a customised firmware version of 4.61.410 for supporting 3 images in e mails on the UK portal. Did you previously load that? If so, as its customised firmware, the customised functionality won't always be included in later versions. The area of customised code may have survived the 4.61.420 minor update but been overwritten by 4.63.xxx

Last edited:
The camera is a DS-2CD2186G2-ISU on firmware v5.7.3.

I hadn’t used the specific customised firmware for the NVR. Before installing V4.63.000, it had V4.61.405 build 220930 when it was bought, and I installed standard V4.61.410 build 221117, followed by V4.61.420 build 230217. The email images worked fine in all until 4.63.000.

The trouble is I can’t flash any other firmware at the moment. It comes up with error message “Not enough flash or memory. Restart the device and upgrade.” every time I try to roll back to any of the previous firmwares (or even try to re-flash V4.63.000…

I hadn’t used the specific customised firmware for the NVR. Before installing V4.63.000, it had V4.61.405 build 220930 when it was bought, and I installed standard V4.61.410 build 221117, followed by V4.61.420 build 230217. The email images worked fine in all until 4.63.000.

The trouble is I can’t flash any other firmware at the moment. It comes up with error message “Not enough flash or memory. Restart the device and upgrade.” every time I try to roll back to any of the previous firmwares (or even try to re-flash V4.63.000…
I've not tried rolling back on this NVR (DS-7616NI-M2/16P). I was going to, to avoid the bug I detailed but decided to wait for the next revision.

Your camera firmware is several versions behind. I'd recommend updating that to the latest from the product page which is 5.7.13 build 230403. I'm not saying it'll fix the problem; however it'll rule out any potential mismatch between the old camera firmware and the new NVR firmware and would be the first thing I'd try. The new firmware is on the product page for your camera here:

I've not tried rolling back on this NVR (DS-7616NI-M2/16P). I was going to, to avoid the bug I detailed but decided to wait for the next revision.

Your camera firmware is several versions behind. I'd recommend updating that to the latest from the product page which is 5.7.13 build 230403. I'm not saying it'll fix the problem; however it'll rule out any potential mismatch between the old camera firmware and the new NVR firmware and would be the first thing I'd try. The new firmware is on the product page for your camera here:

Thanks. Upgrading the camera firmware had no impact, so it seems to be more of an NVR firmware issue than a camera issue. What is interesting though is that the issue of emailed images being corrupt is just with motion detection; the video tampering alerts are emailed with three images perfectly fine… Therefore I wonder if somehow the bug is to do with the acusense people/vehicle recognition.

I am in the very same boat. Just comes up with an error at 63% everytime I try.

I did some more testing, and non-acusense cameras still send motion detection emails with three photos, and the issue seems to be limited to motion events from my acusense camera.
So that seems to imply that the v4.63.000 firmware may have an issue specifically with acusense motion detection images for emails. How are bugs best reported to Hikvision?

Would be good to also somehow address the inability to downgrade firmware to earlier versions (or is that a known limitation that there is no going back from v4.63.000?)

I did some more testing, and non-acusense cameras still send motion detection emails with three photos, and the issue seems to be limited to motion events from my acusense camera.
So that seems to imply that the v4.63.000 firmware may have an issue specifically with acusense motion detection images for emails. How are bugs best reported to Hikvision?

Would be good to also somehow address the inability to downgrade firmware to earlier versions (or is that a known limitation that there is no going back from v4.63.000?)
I don't use e mail for notifications but I can set it up temporarily and see if I can replicate the issue. If it's repeatable the admins here (Dan and Kyle) may be able to notify Hikvision support (Hikvision support are unlikely to respond to an end user)

I'm not sure about the downgrade. I was going to attempt to downgrade to the previous version but decided against it. I received a different version of 4.63.000 from Hikvision support on Friday to address a bug. That firmware left me with no images so I had to downgrade to the previous build. It worked for me first time, but it deactivated the system and wiped most of my configuration requiring me to set up from scratch (I should have thought twice before loading an unknown version at 5 PM on a Friday...)

@TheStork - I've just set up e mail on my M series (4.63.000)

Camera 1 - DS-2CD5A46G0-IZS (H3 platform) - 3 images received
Camera 2 - DS-2CD2387G2-ISU/SL (G5 ColorVu AcuSense) - 1 image received

So I'm seeing similar to you but couldn't confirm whether it's all AcuSense cameras or just that model (I'll test with an older G3 AcuSense shortly).

Regarding the corrupt images; if I try to view the e mailed image immediately - it won't open and I get just an image placeholder. Once that's happened I can't get that image at all. However if I wait for the image to be downloaded from the e mail server prior to opening it, it works fine.

Ok I've done some more tests and worked out exactly what's happening:

Acusense Camera (both G3 and G5 platform) with Human and/or Vehicle filtering applied - one image is received in the e mail.
Acusense Camera (both G3 and G5 platform) with no filtering (both boxes unchecked) - three images received in the e mail

So it's the AcuSense function being enabled rather than it just applying to AcuSense cameras. If you're saying that on versions of M series firmware prior to 4.63.000 that you were receiving 3 images in e mails and that the AcuSense filter was definitely applied at the time, then perhaps it is a bug. Equally Hikvision may have altered the operation for some reason. Tagging @Kyle who may be able to query support on your behalf.

Last edited:
Ok I've done some more tests and worked out exactly what's happening:

Acusense Camera (both G3 and G5 platform) with Human and/or Vehicle filtering applied - one image is received in the e mail.
Acusense Camera (both G3 and G5 platform) with no filtering (both boxes unchecked) - three images received in the e mail

So it's the AcuSense function being enabled rather than it just applying to AcuSense cameras. If you're saying that on versions of M series firmware prior to 4.63.000 that you were receiving 3 images in e mails and that the AcuSense filter was definitely applied at the time, then perhaps it is a bug. Equally Hikvision may have altered the operation for some reason. Tagging @Kyle who may be able to query support on your behalf.
That sounds consistent with what I’m seeing, apart from most of the time I don’t get the single image to display on the email and even saving the attachment and opening in a different app does not work, so definitely somehow corrupted.
In firmwares prior to v4.63.000 I definitely had acusense people & vehicle recognition tagged (which was great for avoiding false motion triggers) and it sent three images in the emails. So it does seem like a bug.
Are you able to help @Kyle?

Hi @TheStork

A lot of activity this past weekend.

Have you tried this latest version (new today) of the NVR firmware?

Hi @TheStork

A lot of activity this past weekend.

Have you tried this latest version (new today) of the NVR firmware?
Hi Phil. I'm already setup so will do a quick test to see if there's any difference in the version. I'll confirm either way in 5 mins....

Hi Phil. I'm already setup so will do a quick test to see if there's any difference in the version. I'll confirm either way in 5 mins....
Behaviour is the same. With no AcuSense applied the NVR sends three images. With any AcuSense filter applied, the NVR sends one image, sometimes it's viewable and sometimes just a placeholder with a corrupt file.

Behaviour is the same. With no AcuSense applied the NVR sends three images. With any AcuSense filter applied, the NVR sends one image, sometimes it's viewable and sometimes just a placeholder with a corrupt file.
I can confirm this at my end too. The new firmware installed ok (no errors on install), but motion detection emails with AcuSense on still contain only one image and mine have so far been all corrupt / unviewable.

I can confirm this at my end too. The new firmware installed ok (no errors on install), but motion detection emails with AcuSense on still contain only one image and mine have so far been all corrupt / unviewable.
When AcuSense is off the three images are low res 352 x 288. With AcuSense on the single image is 1280 x 720.

Hi all - sorry for the delay!

I've been working with a customer who's having similar issues with email notification images on their DS-7608NI-M2/8P for ANPR reads (the same broken image attachments as discussed), so have already sent an email to Hikvison for their thoughts.
Of course, this ANPR camera doesn't use Acusense, but the advanced analytics might be causing the same behaviour.

I'm about to test our M-Series with some Acusense cameras to make sure I can replicate the discussed issue, and will then also update Hikvision with this info to explain that a range of cameras seems to be affected - I'll come back with an update...

I've been working with a customer who's having similar issues with email notification images on their DS-7608NI-M2/8P for ANPR reads (the same broken image attachments as discussed), so have already sent an email to Hikvison for their thoughts.
Of course, this ANPR camera doesn't use Acusense, but the advanced analytics might be causing the same behaviour.

I'm about to test our M-Series with some Acusense cameras to make sure I can replicate the discussed issue, and will then also update Hikvision with this info to explain that a range of cameras seems to be affected - I'll come back with an update...
As a starter both G3 & G5's are affected.

Hi Kyle,
Any update on this? Did Hikvision have any further thoughts?
Thanks for your help.

Yes, apologies, Hikvision UK passed on these apparent bugs to their HQ to fix in new firmware.
I've noticed that V4.63.006_230526 is now available on the NVR product pages, so I'm going to test this today to see if anything has been resolved!

Back