01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which provides better picture quality - 5Series true Darkfighter or Accusense G2?

twe5000

What would you say is a better choice in terms of picture quality:

DS-2CD2686G2-IZS, 8MP Hikvision AccuSense G2 powered by Darkfighter with 1/1.8" sensor 0.003 Lux @ F1.4
DS-2CD5A46G1-IZS, 4MP "true" 5series Hikvision Darkfighter with 1/1.8″ sensor 0.002 Lux @ F1.2

I mean: Is there still a huge gab between true Darkfighter and powered by Darkfighter only?

(I know about the new 8MP ColorVu Cameras with AccuSense, but prefer IR night vision)

Thanks

Hi @twe5000

We have never done a side-by-side comparison of these 2 models, but traditionally a lower resolution camera would perform slightly better in low-light scenarios because even though they have the same sensor size (1/1.8") one camera has 4 million pixels squeezed onto that sensor (4MP) and the other has 8 million (8MP) and so the pixels on the 4MP camera will be slightly larger with more surface area to capture more light.

During the day though you will definitely get sharper and more detailed images from the 8MP model and with the additional AcuSense features we would probably lean towards the new DS-2CD2686G2-IZS model.

I have 2 of each of those models fitted on my own system. The 5 series were a fortune when I first bought them but have come down significantly now. The 5 series have some newfangled super duper lens coating, are 130dB true wide dynamic range, have better IR, alarm inputs and outputs, local output and also have auto iris lens from memory. I could get a better/cleaner nighttime image from the 5 series but I’m not blown away by the difference. They’re an old model now, not receiving firmware updates for over a year and knowing that you can get AcuSense and inbuilt 2 way audio on the cheaper Pro range, makes it difficult to justify the additional outlay.

Back