01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision color vu not sending event notifications at night?

Ctcam

Hi, new here.

I’ve got a 5 camera hikvision system working through poe switch and an 8 channel nvr. After a variety of teething problems it is generally working well except for one annoying issue with a DS-2CD2T87G2-L color vu 8mp 4k camera. It’s set for 24 hour recording and basic event notification (human/vehicle only) and works as it should during daylight, ie, recording and sending notifications when a vehicle or larger thing comes into the marked area. However, once it gets dark enough for the leds to come on, it continues to record, but if something crosses into the marked area it does not seem to register the event and so send a notification. By dawn when the leds go off, all is well again. The only other thing I have noticed is that the leds attract a lot of flying insects which at times are partially obscuring the image.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might do to attempt to fix this?

Many thanks.

CT

Hi @Ctcam,

Could you let us know what model your NVR is please, and also the firmware version currently installed on both the cameras and NVR?

The other first thing to check is the arming schedule for your event, which should be filled completely in blue, which should mean that the event is always enabled or "armed".

Are you also able to share a screenshot of the event area settings, and a snapshot from the camera at night, please?

Thanks for responding.

NVR is DS-7608NXI-I2 / 8P/S. Firmware is V4.51.200 build 211026.

Camera firmware is V5.7.3 build 211222

Arming schedule is all blue on both camera and when checking on nvr.

Attached photos show two images at night, one when insects are crowding the lens, the other when not. Image of area settings also attached.

Attachments

• 75F241A0-D47A-4448-9DD2-1321A2162A5E.jpeg
    75F241A0-D47A-4448-9DD2-1321A2162A5E.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 212
  • CD4FFBB3-83E9-4077-9EAB-85CCBD97164A.jpeg
    CD4FFBB3-83E9-4077-9EAB-85CCBD97164A.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 205
  • B6108F1F-204E-4F4D-97AA-35B2BDC244BC.jpeg
    B6108F1F-204E-4F4D-97AA-35B2BDC244BC.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 218
Although it's working during the day, I would start by adjusting/enlarging the configured area. From the camera's perspective, if you were to stand at the left edge of the drive, only your feet would actually be inside that coverage shape; your body would appear to be over the adjacent hedge. Get someone to stand in the lower left of your image adjacent the hedge so that they're in view and then redraw the polygon. The left side of it should be above their head on the hedge rather than where it currently is. That alone should improve the detection.

As well as what @JB1970 suggests, I would get all of the firmware up to date, which can be downloaded at the bottom of these product pages for your camera and NVR:

This guide explains how to do this if you're unsure:

I can fiddle with the shape but it’s not detecting/notifying vehicles that drive right through the middle from beginning to end.

I can fiddle with the shape but it’s not detecting/notifying vehicles that drive right through the middle from beginning to end.
Looking at the view of that camera, rather than draw a shape, just set the detection area as full screen temporarily to prove the point. It shouldn't cause any false alerts.

I’m now looking at the firmware upgrade. However, while the DS-2CD2T87G2-L camera has installed V5.7.3 build 211222 when I look in the portal against this camera the firmware available seems to be in the v5.5.xxx ranges. Am I missing something?

For the DS-7608NXI-12/8PS/S NVR, I think I’ve found the right part of the portal, but am I supposed to get the slightly later version of the v4.51.200 firmware or go for the bang up to date v4.61.010?

Thank you again.

Hi @Ctcam

I think Kyle had assumed your cameras were the older non-(C) models which is why he linked you to that v5.5.xxx firmware, the actual latest firmware for your cameras would be V5.7.13

In regards to the NVR, you are quite far behind on firmware so we would probably recommend updating in steps to the first of each sub-version (e.g. v4.60.xxx / v4.61.xxx / v4.62.xxx), see the below list of firmware versions we would recommend updating to one at a time.

V4.60.100 build211231
V4.61.000_build220507
V4.62.200_build230105
V4.62.210_build230612

Hi, new here.

I’ve got a 5 camera hikvision system working through poe switch and an 8 channel nvr. After a variety of teething problems it is generally working well except for one annoying issue with a DS-2CD2T87G2-L color vu 8mp 4k camera. It’s set for 24 hour recording and basic event notification (human/vehicle only) and works as it should during daylight, ie, recording and sending notifications when a vehicle or larger thing comes into the marked area. However, once it gets dark enough for the leds to come on, it continues to record, but if something crosses into the marked area it does not seem to register the event and so send a notification. By dawn when the leds go off, all is well again. The only other thing I have noticed is that the leds attract a lot of flying insects which at times are partially obscuring the image.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might do to attempt to fix this?

Many thanks.

CT
I get exactly the same thing on several 4k Colorvu cameras. Latest firmware. Brightly lit, can see movement clear as day. Still get no notifications at night.

Coming back this, and depressingly reassured by the previous post, firmware for all cameras and nvr up to date, and the configured area is now enlarged as suggested, but still no night time notifications. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Coming back this, and depressingly reassured by the previous post, firmware for all cameras and nvr up to date, and the configured area is now enlarged as suggested, but still no night time notifications. Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Following...

Same here for me with ColorVu and DarkFighter. Everything great in the day but nothing at night. We can hear the siren sounding on cameras but no notifications are sent. Firmware updated to the latest available on NVR and cameras.

I would like to follow this thread as I experience the same issue.

My colorvu cameras stop the smart events "intrusion detection" events around midnight for some reason. During daytime there is no issue.
I checked the arming schedules, their 24x7 continuous. I re-armed again, widen the areas and increasing the threshold for detection did not work either. I have no other detection methods running. Firmware is all up to date. I am out of ideas.

NVR: DS-7808-I2
Cameras: DS-2CD2387G2-LU

@Ctcam did you resolve this issue?

Last edited:
No, never resolved. Still does it every night. Sometimes it might pick up and notify a vehicle leaving, so from the rear, but not always, which suggests it might be linked to headlights dazzling/tricking the camera. Also occasionally when approaching the camera at night with headlights on the leds go off, but still no notification.

@jay1

@jay1 did you manage to resolve this issue? I experience the same.
No, never resolved. Still does it every night. Sometimes it might pick up and notify a vehicle leaving, so from the rear, but not always, which suggests it might be linked to headlights dazzling/tricking the camera. Also occasionally when approaching the camera at night with headlights on the leds go off, but still no notification.
Yes, on the cameras that weren't giving notifications at night, I set up motion detection on 20 or 40 sensitivity and unticked human and vehicle targets. I now get all notifications, although I do get cats and lights setting it off too, so there are more false alarms but I don't miss anything. I think I tried intrusion detection with human and vehicle targets unticked and I was getting even more false alarms. It works ok on motion detection for me.

Last edited:
Hi, same problem here during night i get no notification.

NVR
DS-7608NXI-K2 /8P
latest firmware V4.75.005 build 230630

4x camera colorvu DS-2CD2147G2
latest firmware v5.7.14 build 231028

For the setting i use acusense from the camera
Have setup exposure 1/30 otherwise its super slow at night
All configuration are done on the camera, nothing is done from the NVR

No matter i tick/untick human/veh or adjust sensibility from 20 to 70 seems the acusense aint working at night

When i try to enter the area, i get scanned by there is no detection from the camera

Attachments

• 2023-12-09 01_34_18-Window.png
    2023-12-09 01_34_18-Window.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 2023-12-09 01_33_12-Clipboard.png
    2023-12-09 01_33_12-Clipboard.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 2023-12-09 01_37_44-Window.png
    2023-12-09 01_37_44-Window.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Hi Martel
We all have similar issues with ColorVu cameras.
In a previous post I included a Link of an expert Dave from DVSLTD that shows almost the same thing for new Hybrid cameras. The delay between Detect and Alarm pop-up or Pre-Record on the NVR. But as I can see your lighting and target entering the region are OK . The target also gets 100% inside the region area.
Seems that for both issues, alarm pop-up delay and pre-record delay on NVR, the problem is the ColorVUs.
About your Smart Event:
-Is this an Intrusion Detection Area or a Region Entrance area? Region Entrance, at least for me, has a double possibility NOT to give an Alarm pop up even though there is no setting for Threshold time and this should be INSTANT.
-Try reducing the target size so that it fits inside your region area size.
-I use now only Intrusion Detection, Human and Vehicle unchecked, Thresholds at 0 sec, Sensitivity 100 and Target Validity Basic.
I do have a better result but I also have a small delay of 3-5 seconds and some times the target has gone, detected(green rectangle) but not recognized(making red the region area) so that to give an alarm or record on NVR.
My settings should be similar to Motion Detection that gives instant alarm, but it does not.
-There is also another setting on NXI settings.
This is Configuration -Live View - Alarm Pop-up delay. I have set this to 1 sec since there is no 0 for instant but I don't think this is the problem. This simply adds another delay on NVR alarm pop-up on your monitor or beep.
They don't give a solution and I cannot understand why. Possibly they give an emphasis on larger areas and not for narrow yards like yours and mine. On larger areas it is sure that the target will be recognized even after 5 and 10 seconds.
There is also two new issues with NXI-K nvr.
Previous firmwares you could watch on Playback simultanuesly 2 or or more cameras e.g. same yard, if you previously draw area for only one of them without losing the red mark on timeline. Now you cannot. You must search one by one.
Another issue is the smart events areas(Intrusion and Region Entrance/Exit) that you may set on your ColorVUs. Those areas seem that are not recognized by the NVR. They work fine though, you can see them on both IVMS4200 and on NVR smart events setting, but if they area is something more than a rectangle they are automatically modified by the NVR to a whatever Rectangle. This means incompatibility of the plugins, both the NVR firmware and IVMS. IVMS has may issues lately especially on Win11 where the second third and fourth areas are not accessible.
The main problem with this issue is that you cannot create those areas by using NXI nvr area settings because for VCA By Camera you can only create rectangles(convex quadrilateral) and not ten sided polygons(decagon). They solved only the problem that concerns VCA by NVR non accusense cameras with latest firmwares

Last edited:
Hi alfaclvi,

Thanks for your answer,

I'm a little bit lost on how should i configure the settings right now, should i do all from the NVR or from the camera?
From what i've read from the hikvision website in my case is to configure all settings from the NVR and let the camera do the VCA

Is there any setting i can do on the camera do improve the detection at night?
I've setup all display settings from the camera, should i do it from the NVR?

(Ive posted screenshot attached)
Image adjusment all 50

Exposure Settings
Iris mode Fixed
Anti-binding = OFF
Exposure Time = 1/30

Day/night switch = Auto
Sensitivity = 3
Filtering time = 50

Blacklight settings
BLC area = automatically
HLC = On
HLC lvl = 15

White Balance = AWB1

Image Enhacement
Digital Noise reduction = Normal
Noise Reduction lvl = 50
Defog mode = Auto
Gray scale = [0-255]
Video adjustment
Mirror = center
Video Standard = NTSC(60HZ)

For my context:
All configuration is done connected to the NVR with windows 11, edge + latest plugin (got the last one since the CVE release)

-Is this an Intrusion Detection Area or a Region Entrance area? Region Entrance, at least for me, has a double possibility NOT to give an Alarm pop up even though there is no setting for Threshold time and this should be INSTANT.

I've draw the area from the intrusion detection (SMD events) setting on the NVR (windows 11 + edge + latest plugin) -> For exemple from the NVR i can't put in full screen mod to draw whereas on the camera i can. (Region entrance isnt activated)

-Try reducing the target size so that it fits inside your region area size.
I'll try, but i want it to detect car and humans

-I use now only Intrusion Detection, Human and Vehicle unchecked, Thresholds at 0 sec, Sensitivity 100 and Target Validity Basic.
I do have a better result but I also have a small delay of 3-5 seconds and some times the target has gone, detected(green rectangle) but not recognized(making red the region area) so that to give an alarm or record on NVR.
My settings should be similar to Motion Detection that gives instant alarm, but it does not.

I'll try with these settings, but i had similar detection before upgrading to the latest firmware, then i think i changed some settings and screwed up everything.
From what i've seen is that sometimes it detects human, but last time i went outside with a hooded coat and there was no detection at all.

I've read on another post that someone just disable instruction detection at night and just use motion detection as he had better performance, do you recommend it? Should i have intrusion detection AND motion detection actived? i'm worried that i might lose some events especially at night.

here is the post (from jay1): Hikvision color vu not sending event notifications at night?

-There is also another setting on NXI settings.
This is Configuration -Live View - Alarm Pop-up delay. I have set this to 1 sec since there is no 0 for instant but I don't think this is the problem. This simply adds another delay on NVR alarm pop-up on your monitor or beep.
They don't give a solution and I cannot understand why. Possibly they give an emphasis on larger areas and not for narrow yards like yours and mine. On larger areas it is sure that the target will be recognized even after 5 and 10 seconds.

where do i find this setting? under SMD events?

There is also two new issues with NXI-K nvr.
Previous firmwares you could watch on Playback simultanuesly 2 or or more cameras e.g. same yard, if you previously draw area for only one of them without lososing the red mark on timeline. Now you cannot. You must search one by one.
Another issue is the second third and fourth smart events areas(Intrusion and Region Entrance/Exit) that you may set on your ColorVUs. Those areas seem that are not recognized by the NVR. They work fine though, you can see them on both IVMS4200 and on NVR smart events setting, but if they area is something more than a rectangle they are automatically modified by the NVR to a whatever Rectangle. This means incompatibility of the plugins, both the NVR firmware and IVMS. IVMS has may issues lately especially on Win11
The main problem with this issue is that you cannot create those areas by using NXI nvr area settings because for VCA By Camera you can only create rectangles(convex quadrilateral) and not ten sided polygons(decagon). They solved only the problem that concerns VCA by NVR non accusense cameras with latest firmwares

Yeah i've seen this but didn't know that it may cause incompatibility, that was very usefull in my case has i could only create 1 area from the camera, but from the NVR i can only create rectangle therefore i should create 2 or 3 area in some cameras.. Maybe that's why detection wasnt working at first. Now i recreated all areas from the NVR, i will try with your intrusion detection setting and see tonight if there's improvement.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.png
    2.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.png
    3.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 4.png
    4.png